Friday, July 20, 2012

Dragon's Treasure

This cake I created for one of my cousins who is a big fan of the Dragons in Our Midst book series by Bryan Davis. At first I wasn't quite sure how I was going to tackle the project; but with some helpful tips from my Grandma, I made it. The dragon itself is made of rice crispy treat formed to look like the body. Next I covered it with fondant and attached all of the dots, wings, eyes, etc. which I had previously made. He was also going to be breathing fire, but unfortunately I left the materials I needed at Grandma's.

The mountains in the background are simply waffle cones covered in frosting, with a little bit of powdered sugar sprinkled on top for snow. Crushed jolly ranchers made perfect gemstones. Excalibur in the stone was not planned, but since I had leftover cake I went ahead and added it. The poor plastic knight was originally planned to be a more important part of the cake. However, the monstrous dragon kicked him out.

3 comments: